Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

The Universal Girl Problems

 
 
Happy Monday friends, I hope your week is off to a great start. I'm feeling a little under the weather today and hope I can kick this ugly feeling before Thursday. Thursday is my birthday, yahoo!! I'd hate to be sick on my birthday.
 
 
Anyway so over the weekend my lovely 6 year old daughter gave me the first of many tests regarding self-esteem and self-worth. My darling daughter asked me point blank and flat out while we were getting dinner last night if I thought she looked fat. It took me for a shock but once I gathered the initial jolt I knew this would be one of the first tests in raising a girl. I quickly answered her and said you are absolutely not fat! You are a healthy, growing, and beautiful little lady. I told her as long as we all exercise and eat healthy we would have nothing to worry about. I also explained that what we put into our bodies fuels us so it's important to only put good nutritious food into our bodies.
 
She took that statement and I guess she felt good about it because that was the end of the conversation for us. However, it constantly played out in my mind just how early self image starts within girls. She is only 6 and is already worried about how pretty and skinny she is. The media disgusts me when it comes to raising a daughter because I know they are the ones influencing young impressionable children to look and act a certain way.
 
So I made a vow yesterday that I would be more involved and more aware of what she is watching be it TV shows or commercials. I would also be more active in building up her self esteem and making sure she knows and is reminded on a daily basis just how wonderful and beautiful she is.
 
 


0 comments:

Post a Comment